Pain In My Heart

I love food. It's been documented.

But my boyfriend took it to a new level this weekend.

He loves steak. Absolutely loves it. He'll eat it anyway he can get it. But his absolute favorite is from Houston's. He loves their Hawaiian ribeye.

However, there is no Houston's in St. Louis, so when we go on vacation we always find a way to visit one (Kansas City, Memphis, LA, and Atlanta so far). When we went to Colorado in October, we stopped in KC on the way home just to have this steak.

So it's been about four months since we've made the trek. He wanted to go this weekend to Kansas City (under the pretense that I would really love their new addition to the art museum.) but we had plans on Saturday.

Instead of taking a weekend trip, on Sunday, we drove nine hours round trip to Kansas City. We started at the new addition to the Nelson-Atkins museum, because I've been wanting to go since it opened last June. Then we ate a huge steak dinner before driving back home.

I rarely eat meat, especially red meat. But Houston's does make a tasty center cut filet, so I indulged. I ate carrots and peas with it, so I'm assuming that balances out... Right?

It was so worth the nine hour drive.

Any foods you're willing to drive nine hours for?

12 comments:

The Ferryman said...

No, but I once drove from Sunderland, MA to Bennington VT to go to an A&W.

According to Mapquest that's a three hour round trip. That's a lot for root beer.

Avitable said...

Even I wouldn't drive nine hours for food!

Robin said...

Erik and I are still pissed there is no Red Lobster near us but we always see commercials...although I don't know if I'd drive to Connecticut just for that. I don't even know if Red Lobster sucks, I only had it a couple times in my life but it seems awesome.

Amanda said...

Mr. Fab- Did you at least get a hot dog?

Avitable- Trust me, it wasn't my plan.

Robin- I love Red Lobster, and we have lots of them around. We go there often.

Robin said...

Well, you don't have to rub it in you know...

Poppy said...

Yah! STEAK! :)

Poppy said...

PS - Fab, that's redonk. BTW, no more A&Ws around me.

Amanda said...

Robin- LOL sorry, I was trying to tell you that yes, Red Lobster is in fact good, it's not just because you don't get to go often.

Poppy- Mmm steak.

ADW said...

Yes! There is a great Vietnamese place in Frederick Maryland that makes me weep with pleasure. It is about a 10 hour round trip, but I have family there, so it balances out!

The waitress there remembers me EVERY time even thought I only go there once or twice a year. All other Vietnamese food pales in comparison.

So I totally get it.

Trukindog said...

If I could aford it I would drive to Missourie once a month for fresh White Castle. Since I live in AZ. that tells ya how much I love fresh White Castle Sliders.

Symphony of Love said...

9 hours drive? Luckily I don't have to drive that long, in Singapore, to get to one of my favorite food. But I guess I would if I have to. Come to think of it, maybe I am the 'live to eat type' and not the 'eat to live' type :)

Anonymous said...

I live in Hawaii and have never heard of Hawaiian ribeye, but I will venture a guess that it features canned pineapple.