Dream a Scene to Brighten Face

Thanks to Avitable (*okay I can't get the links to work, so the address is avitable.com) and others, I’ve seen lots of bloggers list their top movies. I’ve been thinking and thinking about my favorites. I am a movie whore, and a former Blockbuster employee. While at Blockbuster, I would get five free rentals a week, and generally I would watch all of them (plus I was sleeping with my manager, who also got five free a week. Relax, it’s my boyfriend. I’m a movie whore, not a total whore). We go see at least one movie a week in the theater, often two or three. So for me to pick my favorite movies is a hard endeavor. But here goes….. These aren’t in order, because that’s subjective depending on my mood. I tried to do a top ten, but fifteen was as close as I could get. Don't make fun of my choices too much, I'm VERY SENSITIVE. Screw you. Anyway, what are your favorites?

The Big Lebowski (1998)- Come on… The Dude. What’s not to love?

Billy Madison (1995) - My brother and I drove my poor mother crazy quoting this movie growing up. What can I say? It’s still hilarious thirteen years later.

Dogma (1999)- Genius. I love all that Kevin Smith does (yes, I even like Jersey Girl) but this is the smartest, best directed one of all of them.

A Christmas Story (1983)- It’s a classic. It’s not Christmas Eve until I watch this on TNT (or is it TBS?) even though I have it on dvd.

The Harry Potter Series (2001-)- I can’t pick just one, because I love them all for different reasons.

The Girl Next Door (2004)- The best romantic comedy to come out in a long long time. It was greatly under appreciated.

Dirty Dancing (1987)- Yes, I know. But my mom and cousins made me watch it a million times as a kid (I was three when it came out) and it’s something I love. It reminds me of my childhood (Is that bad?)

The Princess Bride (1987)- It’s epic. Wesley and Buttercup are my favorite movie couple of all time. Also the book is fantastic.

The Notebook (2004)- I know its cheesy, but I love Noah. It’s a great movie and a great book.

Walk the Line (2005)- Probably the only biographical movie I’ve ever liked.

Monster’s Inc (2001)- My favorite animated movie of all time. Boo is the cutest thing ever drawn.

Sixteen Candles (1984)- Another childhood favorite. As early teens, we would watch this (and everything else John Hughes) every practically every weekend.

Saved! (2004)- Smart, smart movie. Another one that was greatly under appreciated.

Roman Holiday (1953)- It’s probably the only movie older than me that I really like, but I think it’s timeless.

Office Space (1999)- I don’t need to explain this one, you all know that it’s great.



***I've only had this posted for a minute and I'm already regretting not having Borat on there. I'm sure I'll think of more, I may have to do another post***

6 comments:

The Ferryman said...

Nobody puts Amanda in a corner...

Avitable said...

You can make actual links by putting "http://" before the URL.

Saved is such a smart movie - I don't know that I'd rank it among my favorites, but it's definitely one that I've watched a few times.

The Harry Potter films just haven't clicked with me (other than getting an erection over Emma Watson). The books were much more captivating and, even though I think JK Rowling is only a sub-par author, much subtler.

Dogma was good, but Clerks II was better.

I haven't seen The Notebook or Walk the Line, but I'll just guess that I'd disagree with you on those.

Finally, because you're young I'll forgive you for not having Star Wars on there.

Unknown said...

HAHA Mr. Fab!

Is Saved! the one with Mandy Moore in it? And it takes place at a Christian school? If so, I liked that movie. It made me laugh.

Although I'm one of the biggest Harry Potter fans out there, I prefer the books to the movies, as the directors never did them justice.

Dogma eh? I have not seen that one! I don't get five free movie rentals and I'm not sleeping with the Blockbusters manager...I do get free Denny's food though!

The Notebook and Walk the Line rocked. I loved them.

Out of your entire list though, I would have to say that my favourites [from your list] are Dirty Dancing and The Princess Bride. WICKED movies!!!

Amanda said...

Mr. Fab- that is so true

Avi- thanks. I liked the harry potter books much better as well, but I love the movies also. And no, I don't recommend walk the line or the notebook for you.

Sarcastica- Free Dennys is still a sweet deal. Who doesn't love pancakes?

Robin said...

We have very different tastes and I too am a movie nut...more like a movie snob actually. The only one I can get on board with is Office Space. You need to check out my Top 5 list and go from there...you'll be amazed.

Amanda said...

Robin: I've seen all the ones on your profile. I loved fight club